The Ashinaga Africa Initiative began in 2014. Its mission is to contribute to Sub-Saharan Africa’s expanding role in global development through increasing access to higher education abroad. We support orphaned students who are committed to returning home and initiating change, by providing access to full financial support to study at a university abroad (equivalent to an undergraduate degree). Ashinaga support covers tuition, accommodation, travel costs, and other necessary fees.
- Have lost one or both parents;
- Have completed secondary school and passed national secondary school examination (technical and vocational degrees not accepted) within the last two years (any date after 1st September 2017, including all of 2018 and 2019) or will have completed secondary school and received final exam results before February 28th, 2020.
- Were born after 1st September, 1997;
- Have an outstanding academic performance at high school and were amongst the top students in their class;
- Be committed to returning home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in Sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university.
Applications for Anglophone and Francophone countries are open between 2nd September – 13th December 2019
This is a list of the documents you will need to submit as part of your application.
- Copy of birth certificate of applicant.
- Copy of death certificate of deceased parent(s), including the deceased parent’s name, or alternative official documentation proving death of parent(s) or orphan status.
- Copy of national ID card or passport.
- Copy of term reports / high school transcripts (from the last 2 years).
- Copy of final Secondary School Examination Certificate*
- Copy of academic transcripts or diplomas from university/post-secondary institution, if applicable.
* For students receiving their examination results after December 13th 2019 and before February 28th 2020 we will ask you to send your examination certificate if you are selected to progress to the second round of the application process
For detailed information on this opportunity click here.
If you need help in responding to this opportunity, please write your question in the comment box below.
If you need to receive similar opportunities like this one, please follow this blog by pressing the follow button in the upper right corner of this page.