The Faculty of Architecture, Architectural Engineering and Urban Planning (LOCI) at the University of Louvain is currently increasing its research capacity associated with urban sustainability and the Urban Metabolism approach more particularly. The doctoral research will be supervised by Prof. Daniela Perrotti. The distinct focal area of Prof. Perrotti’s research team consists of advanced urban metabolism assessment methods measuring the potential of nature-based solutions to mitigate urban resource demand and associated waste and pollutant rejection.
The net monthly salary is of 2000€ after tax. In addition to the salary, the funding package also covers tuition fees and social benefits, health care and allowance for traveling to and from work. An additional budget of 5000€ is provided to cover international mobility expenses, IT costs and other operating costs related to the research.
The funding package will be awarded for an initial duration of two years, extendable over two additional years. Within the first year of the project, the PhD researcher will be provided the opportunity to apply to dedicated funding by the Belgian National Fund for Scientific Research(FNRS) in collaboration with the project supervisor and to extend the funding package over the final two years of the project.
- REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentEnvironmental science: Master Degree or equivalent
- REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Minimum of a MSc Degree of 120 credits in relevant subject area: Industrial Ecology, Environmental Engineering, Urban Ecology or Environmental Sciences
- Relevant MSc dissertation topic
- Fluency in English (knowledge of either French, Dutch, Spanish or Chinese will be an additional asset)
- Excellent written English communication skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Good presentation and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently within agreed guidelines
- Commitment to developing internationally competitive publication profile
- Knowledge of and interest in the Urban metabolism approach
- Knowledge of and interest in the “Ecosystem Service” concept
- Previous experience in academic research (e.g. Master thesis, research assistance, article writing)
- Engagement with quantitative and qualitative data collection (e.g. Master thesis)
- General Urban Sustainability Knowledge
- Previous experience in conducting basic system modelling (e.g. Master thesis)
- Previous experience in conductinggeospatial analysis (e.g. Master thesis)
Application deadline is 13 July 2019
1. A cover letter (2 pages) including an explanation on how your profile matches the research project, Skills/Qualifications and Specific Requirements.
2. A full CV, including degrees and marks obtained for each study year, title and a short summary of your Master thesis, relevant courses taken, a list of publications and conference papers, as well as contact details of two academic referees.
3. Copy of the master thesis (completed or in progress) and any other relevant research output (article, conference paper, etc).
Please submit your application file to the project supervisor, Prof. Daniela Perrotti: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews with short-listed candidates will be held the week of 22 July on Skype or, when possible, at the UCLouvain campus of Louvain-la-Neuve (Place du Levant 1, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve) or Brussels (Rue Henri Wafelaerts, 47, 1060 Brussels).
Further details about this fellowship can be obtained from the supervisor, Prof. Daniela Perrotti: email@example.com.
If you need help in making applicaiton, write your question in the comment box below
If you would like to receive similar opportunities like this one follow this blog by pressing the follow button in this page.